Why call upon a systems integrator? Integrating LIMS software package in a specific work context requires knowledge and savoir-faire that the editor alone cannot bring.
Over the past few years, the methodology for LIMS software package integration has never ceased to improve in terms of shorter implementation times, reduction in the time to ROI (return on investment), use of standards and only standards, and application of optimized methods, etc. Bearing these objectives in mind, the LIMS integrator must quickly adapt and bring innovative methodologies, together with an ever-wider range of skills above and beyond what the integrated solution requires (business skills, competence in industrial information systems, etc.), together with a real savoir-faire in accompanying the integrated change. But to what goal? To contribute towards an improvement in the productivity, traceability and above all better and durable performance in the laboratory.
Responsiveness, efficiency and simplification: the new industrial requirements concerning the integration of a LIMS software
Today, the time between the start of a project and a Go Live is on average 9 months. This «gestation» period, although constantly optimized, must be accompanied by a reduced impact on the different work teams (laboratory teams, production teams, QA representatives, etc.) The integrator must have at his disposal a range of adapted integration «tools» in order to accelerate the project, for example, by automating the time-consuming repetitive tasks for the different teams (tests, data set up, etc.), while not forgetting to bring adding-value for reducing the time to ROI. How? This is done by notably adopting the LIMS software standard features, even if this means challenging the needs or organization, rather than adapting and/complexifying the chosen solution.
In this way, the cost of integrating a LIMS project, whether human or financial, will remain acceptable and user-friendly.
The dual role of a LIMS integrator: interpreter and architect
Within a complex context, the LIMS integrator must use his businesses knowledge and also his expertise of the LIMS Software in order to interpret the needs expressed by the user or, a fortiori, those not expressed.
As principal contractor and architect, his skills in the different parts of this integration help him provide both the necessary resources and competence at the right time and in the right place!
In addition, calling upon an independent LIMS integrator, ensures you have the following:
- An excellent source of valuable suggestions to accompany the evolution of the business processes. The implementation of the software package should not be the digitalization of the existing « paper-based » processes. In addition, focusing on the software package often means ignoring these sources of progress;
- The necessary overview of the whole project in order to use the software package in the most optimal way. The feedback and understanding gained from the integrator’s experience, notably when the teams use several software packages of similar nature, means that the solutions proposed by the package are constantly considered in an analytical way while taking into account performance, ergonomics, ease of future maintenance and upgrade of the software version;
- An excellent understanding of Information Systems thus bringing the necessary skills and competence concerning the question of interfaces and collaborative processes with other components of the company’s Information System, such as ERP- and MES-type systems;
- The methods for realizing a project using the integrator’s skills i.e. proven design and realization methods based on prototyping or AGILE, respect of the state-of-the-art; and « professional » project management enabling an efficient co-piloting of the project;
- A promise of quality in terms of the means and the deliverables;
- An accompaniment above and beyond the project and over time.
The SPC Group’s added value in your LIMS project
The LIMS expertise pole corresponds to a longstanding activity of the SPC Group. Since the creation of SPC Consultants, this expertise has been used in more than 200 projects involving the implementation of LIMS. This significant experience means that SPC is a major independent actor in the francophone LIMS market.
SPC has worked in this domain within various contexts : single and multi-site projects, production quality control laboratories, R&D laboratories, service laboratories and in integration projects as diverse as:
- Interfacing ERP (SAP, JDE, MOVEX, ORACLE, MICROSOFT, etc.),
- Interfacing MES (Manufacturing Execution System)
- Interfacing QMS (Quality Management System)
- Interfacing ELN (Electronic Lab notebook)
- Interfacing EDMS (Electronic Document Management)
- As well as interfacing metrology or Advanced planning and scheduling software.
A GLOBAL APPROACH
With its excellent expertise, our Group has a global approach when accompanying digital transformation processes in laboratories. We aim to complete the integration of the LIMS solution using « tools » which enrich the digital domain: LES (Laboratory Execution System) tools or modules, ELN (Electronic lab notebook) solutions or modules, planning and scheduling packages and analysis tools, connectivity instruments, etc., or by 4.0 technologies with systems able to support them: voice recognition, mobility, connected glasses, augmented reality, etc.
Our strong team of more than 40 consultants dedicated to laboratory information systems, represent the largest structure in the francophone market. Our team consists of people with skills and experience in mainly two domains (laboratory, and science & computing). Our consultants have expertise in the principle solutions on the LIMS market: iLES Platform (iVention), LabVantage LIMS Platform (LabVantage), LabWare LIMS (LABWARE), Sample Manager (THERMO FISHER), StarLIMS (ABBOTT). This competence is recognized by most of the LIMS editors, who, for the most part, have been our partners for a number of years.
SPC with its savoir-faire in integrating LIMS, can apply these systems in regulated areas such as ISO 17025, COFRAC, and of course, GxP. Our references can attest to this.
Our teams are aware of the requirements of these different regulations and have at their disposal the proven methodologies responding to the requirements for the regulations in question.
BEYOND SOLUTION IMPLEMENTATION
Finally, as a project is not just limited to the implementation of a solution, SPC knows how to make a complete integration offer:
- savoir-faire in terms of converging business processes notably in multi-site contexts;
- excellent technical competence to address equipment connection issues;
- savoir-faire in accompanying the changes from start to finish;
- an offer of third-party applications maintenance (TMA) where you will find the competence, responsiveness, ability to listen and the quality that we can bring in the project phase.
Our team is ready to accompany you in your project of laboratory process digitalization. Come and discover our expertise in this domain!